4 Mistakes That Cause Anxiety-Talk It Over
What are some things that make you feel anxious? How does anxiety affect you?
“Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” -Philippians 4:4-7
“Elijah was afraid and ran for his life. When he came to Beersheba in Judah, he left his servant there, while he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness. He came to a broom bush, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. ‘I have had enough, Lord,’ he said. ‘Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.'” -1 Kings 19:3-4
“The Lord said, ‘Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by.’ Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire came a gentle whisper.” –1 Kings 19:11-12
“The Lord is near.” –Philippians 4:5b
Discussion Questions: First, Read through our Key Scriptures.
Pastor James talked about four big mistakes that we make when we are anxious.
1. We wear ourselves out. There are several ways in which we can wear ourselves out; physically, emotionally, mentally.
- Of these three ways, in which one do you find yourself most often exhausted.
- What can you do to fight becoming exhausted in this area?
2. We shut people out.
- Why do we tend to shut people out when we are feeling anxious?
- How could it be helpful to reach out to others during our anxious times?
3. We focus on the negative.
- Are you more of a positive person or negative type person?
- How does focusing on the negative side of a situation affect us?
- How does focusing on the positive side of a situation help relieve anxiety?
4. We forget God.
- What is it that we forget about God?
- Why might someone choose to turn away from God rather than to Him when life gets tough?
- What happens when we turn TO the Lord instead?
When anxiety starts to kick in, get some rest, reach out to others, focus on the positive and remember, the Lord is near!